The Brickworks Museum, Bursledon is a volunteer run museum located close to the River Hamble between Southampton and Portsmouth. The museum is housed in the former factory building, which is Grade II* listed and contains original Victorian machinery.
We are a unique heritage site and the only remaining steam driven brickworks in the country. The museum is open Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays from April to October, with a big Event Day one Sunday a month, and regular group and school visits.
Our Event days are growing in popularity and frequency, so we need more friendly, enthusiastic people to help to run the museum. Volunteers can help in the museum, or car park; the options are many and the choice is all yours!
Events run on Sundays, April to October predominantly.
Typical tasks and duties involved in the role:
- Museum – staffing the front desk and selling tickets, talking to visitors about the museum, running the steam engine or demonstrating brickmaking/machinery.
- Car park – helping exhibitors park on site and find where they should be, helping the public park their cars.
- Friendly and patient
- Good communication skills and happy to talk to people
- An ability and willingness to learn new skills
- Good time management
- A passion or interest in history is a bonus but not a must.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
More Opportunities from Bursledon Brickworks
Age Concern New Forest
Hampshire Library and Information Service
Dementia Support Hampshire & IOW
Royal Hampshire County Hospital