The Brickworks Museum, Bursledon, is a volunteer run museum located by the river Hamble between Southampton and Portsmouth. The site is owned by the Hampshire Buildings Preservation Trust and governed by Bursledon Brickworks Trust. We are a unique site and the only remaining steam driven brickworks in the country. The museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to volunteers and for a big Event one Sunday a month April to October.
Join our group of railway volunteers in maintaining and developing the railway infrastructure, engines and carriages on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays (hours to suit volunteers), and assist with running trains on our Event Days, which are usually one Sunday a month 10-4 (April to October).
Typical tasks and duties involved in the role:
• Assisting with maintenance work on the track, sheds, trains and carriages.
• Clearing vegetation for new track layout.
• Helping to build and install the track and points for the new project.
• Checking track, trains and carriages prior to events.
• Selling tickets to visitors.
• Managing the station and helping to maintain a safe environment.
• Acting as guard on trains (training provided).
• Acting as driver on trains (training provided).
The 7¼ miniature railway runs on Event Days and, with sufficient volunteers, we would like to also offer a service for the group and education visits. The present railway is some 20 years old, so there are plans to develop a whole new miniature railway to replace the current line, providing a longer run and an improved visitor experience. This new project will be challenging but also a great opportunity to learn new skills and practice old ones.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 08/06/2021
End Date: 08/06/2022
Bursledon Brickworks Industrial Museum
Coal Park Lane
More Opportunities from Bursledon Brickworks
Hampshire County Council - Staunton Country Park
Hampshire Police Cadets
New Forest National Park Authority