You will be providing the puppy with a vital foundation for its future role as a guide dog, making a real difference to someone living with sight loss. Full training and continuous support given by the team.
This is a full-time volunteering role as the puppy will live with the volunteer. The usual time that the puppy is living with you is around 14-16 months. They then go onto the more formal training at a Guide Dog Office.
What does the role involve?
- Feeding, training and generally caring for a puppy's needs on a daily basis is time consuming and, particularly when very young, they cannot be left on their own for more than three hours.
- You will develop and care for a puppy as directed by your supervisor and as described in Puppy Walking Policies and Procedures.
- You will familiarise the puppy with many different environments.
- Teaching basic obedience commands.
You will need access to a suitable area where the puppy could go to the toilet during the day, including first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 06/07/2021
End Date: 06/07/2022
More Opportunities from Guide Dogs
New Forest Mencap
Final Straw Foundation
Fordingbridge Salvation Army