Support young people who care for someone in their family-give them a break, chance to experience new things and be listened to. Get involved - young carers exploration programme (evening support groups), day trips or befriending. Must give a regular commitment and be over 18.
You will support by helping supervise the young people and encouraging them to get involved in the activities on offer. You may also provide a listening ear for those young people who need to talk and act as a role model.
Club nights run on a Wednesday evening as follows:
- LOWER Group for Sibling Carers, 8-11's - Runs weekly from 4:15pm - 6:00pm
- LOWER Group for Parent Carers, 8-11's - Runs weekly from 4:15pm - 6:00pm
- MIDDLE Group, 11-13's - Runs fortnightly from 6:30pm-8:30pm
- UPPER Group, 14-17's - Runs fortnightly from 6:30pm-8:30pm
You can get involved in one or more of these groups, they are all run from UNIT 12 Centre in Winnall Valley Road.
Day trips are usually weekends, school holidays or evenings going to places like Poppies Craft, Cinema, local restaurants, theatre, country park picnics.
Befriending is a specialist role involving working one-to-one with young people, taking them out and helping them access a new hobby, catch up on school work or just giving them that extra break. This is a role you may move into after supporting at clubs and activities.
Please note you may be required to transport young people to and from groups and activities.
Full training and on-going support given.
Full training is provided but you will need basic skills in:
- Must be aged 18 or over.
- Good listening skills.
- Communication - ability to communicate effectively with children, young people and adults.
- Understanding/experience of young people's issues.
- Self-motivation - ability to work unsupervised and to use own initiative.
- Commitment: able to help on a regular basis.
- Have a full UK driving licence.
- Prepared to travel and transport young people within Winchester and District.
- Prepared to work some evenings and weekends.
Depends upon venue.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Winnall Valley Road
More Opportunities from Winchester and District Young Carers
VoiceAbility Hampshire and Southampton
Royal Southampton Yacht Club Trust
Citizens Advice Fareham
Hampshire County Council - Library Service (New Forest)