We are looking for caring, friendly volunteers to befriend and offer support to vulnerable families and their children aged 5 to 13.
Training will be provided for volunteers to befriend a child on a 1:1 basis, both indoors and outside of the family home for two hours a week. Due to the child's age, the two hour volunteering period is likely to be after school or at the weekend and during the school holidays.
Our main aim is to help families to help themselves by giving them friendly support for as long as they need it and so make a difference to these young children's lives. We hope that our volunteers will use their own life experiences and skills to encourage families to discover their own strengths, build their confidence and encourage them to find their own solutions to difficulties. We hope that volunteers will commit to the role for a minimum of a year so that positive relationships built on trust and confidentiality can be developed.
In return volunteers will be given initial training, receive regular, professional, supervision and be provided with ongoing training opportunities. Own transport is required but travel expenses will be reimbursed.
A volunteer befriender will:
- be aged 23 or over
- be kind, caring and non-judgmental
- enjoy being with children
- be a positive role model
- have patience to support a child through a difficult period in their life
- maintain confidentiality
- be able to commit to spending two hours a week with a child for a minimum period of one year
- preferably be able to drive and have access to a car that could be used in their voluntary role
A volunteer befriender will have experience of:
- supporting/ working/volunteering with children aged 5 to 13 years
- or have children or grandchildren of their own
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Yes - travel expenses.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Training of 12 hours and regular follow up training.
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
Yes - Public liability insurace but volunteers must have own car insurance and inform their provider.
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
c/o Friends Meeting House
16 Colebrook Street
More Opportunities from Friends of the Family
Winchester and District Young Carers
It's Your Choice
Hampshire County Council - Library Service (New Forest)