Winchester Cathedral has been at the heart of a vibrant community for nearly 1000 years. Today, the Cathedral welcomes more than 300,000 visitors and pilgrims each year. They come to share in our daily worship and hear our world-class choir, to enjoy the wonderful setting, stunning architecture, priceless treasures and to attend our extensive programme of events.
The Cathedral holds a special place in our nation’s history and is renowned for the breathtaking architecture and beauty which attracts visitors and pilgrims from around the world.
Winchester Cathedral is called to renew, inspire and unite people in faith, hope and love. We live by our values of Openness, Excellence and Kindness in all that we do.
We are committed to providing a welcoming, respectful and safe environment for all, including children and adults who may be at risk of abuse and neglect. The care and protection of children, young people and adults involved in Cathedral activities is the responsibility of everyone who participates in the life of the Cathedral Community.
We expect all volunteers to share this commitment and follow safer recruitment policies and procedures.
All successful applicants will be subject to checks, including satisfactory references and undertaking DBS checks where appropriate and Safeguarding training relevant to the role.
Our Welcoming Stewards are often the first person the visitor meets on entry to the Cathedral. Greeting visitors with a Benedictine welcome is very important and requires sensitivity and sometimes firmness.
Safeguarding Training Minimum Requirement: Basic (C0), Foundation (C1).
Activities you will be involved in will include:
- Making every visitor feel valued and welcome by greeting them in a pleasant Benedictine manner.
- Treating each visitor as an individual with particular needs and interests.
- Providing visitors with accurate information on daily activities.
- Providing leaflets in the appropriate language for visitors.
- Recognising when a visitor may be in distress and requires pastoral assistance or wishes just to come in and pray or light a candle.
The support and time you give to the Cathedral and its visitors is really important and will set the tone for how they experience the Cathedral. We want everyone, including you as a volunteer, to have a worthwhile and rewarding experience.
What we can offer you:
- Training and support to carry out your volunteer role confidently and competently, which reflects how the Cathedral values you and your commitment.
- A friendly team led by a Section Head and supported by the Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- The chance to meet new people and belong to a caring community.
- The opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge and contribute to the life of the Cathedral.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 07/04/2021
End Date: 07/04/2022
Commitment: 2 hour slots Thursday and Saturday.
More Opportunities from Winchester Cathedral
Help for older residents to access local transport services and reconnect with their community (New Forest & Hampshire)
MHA Communities New Forest
Testwood Lakes Sailability
Walk the Walk