If you’re looking to meet new people, gain new skills, give back to the community or just try something different then volunteering at Petersfield Museum might just be for you!
Petersfield Museum was established by volunteers back in 1999 and today they continue to play a vital role in everything the Museum does. From greeting our visitors at the front desk and ensuring they have the best experience possible to looking after our collections and helping to create amazing events, volunteers are the lifeblood of the Museum.
Our Visitor Experience Volunteers are the welcoming face of the museum, offering a friendly welcome to our visitors and helping them enjoy and engage with the museum and its stories.
- Welcoming the public and orientating them at the start of their visit
- Selling tickets and products from the Museum shop
- Engaging visitors in the displays and stories the Museum tells
- Supporting visitors in getting the most from their visit by answering visitor queries and providing high quality customer service
- Ensuring the Museum galleries are kept to high standards of presentation
- Leading short introduction tours on the Museum and object handling activities to enrich visitors’ understanding of the Museum’s displays
- Proactively promoting upcoming events and signposting other ways visitors can get more actively involved
- Supporting the gathering of visitor feedback
- Reporting any serious issues, concerns, accidents emergencies promptly
We believe that it's important to give back to our volunteers for all the hard work they do. All of our volunteers are supported in their role by a friendly team of staff and trustees, alongside gaining access to some great benefits including free Museum entry, discounted event tickets, savings in our shop and much more.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to work within a friendly and supportive team
- A chance to meet new people and make professional contacts
- On-the-job training (dependant on role)
- Free entrance to the Museum for you and a family member or friend
- Invitations to special events
- 15% shop discount (conditions apply)
- Event discounts (conditions apply)
- Free tea, coffee and biscuits
- New experiences and an opportunity to give something back
What we’re looking for:
- Polite and friendly individuals over the age of 16
- A welcoming approach to working alongside the public
- An enthusiasm to develop knowledge of Petersfield Museum and its collections and share this in a positive and lively way
- Individuals who enjoy working as part of a small, dedicated team
- A positive attitude and willingness to offer help
- Interest in heritage, costume, art, archaeology or local history
- Confidence and enthusiasm for speaking with members of the public
Important information about volunteering at Petersfield Museum:
- Volunteers are welcome to offer as much or as little of their time as they can give, but we do encourage individuals to commit to regular shifts. Our recommended commitment is one shift per fortnight as this best supports the museum.
- The normal museum day is broken into two shifts, a morning (1000-1330) and an afternoon (1330-1700).
- You will be expected to attend an induction training session.
- Training will also be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the museum team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
You will be expected to attend an induction training session. Training will also be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the museum team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
1 St Peter's Rd
More Opportunities from Petersfield Museum
New Forest Mencap
Havant Open DofE Centre
Horndean Children of the 1940's
Hampshire Police Cadets
Fordingbridge Salvation Army