Petersfield Museum is excited to be reopening its doors after its multi-million-pound redevelopment project and is looking for enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to help support us in reaching our vision of telling the story of Petersfield and the surrounding villages, through an excitingly diverse mix of archaeology, art, historic dress, literature, photography, poetry and social history.
Our Visitor Experience Volunteers will be the welcoming face of the museum offering a friendly welcome to our visitors and helping them enjoy and engage with the museum and its stories. The volunteer role: As a Petersfield Museum Visitor Experience Volunteer you will play a central role in helping people engage with and enjoy the museum, the stories it tells and its place in the wider story of the local area.
The activities you might be involved in could include:
- Welcoming the public, selling tickets and orientating them at the start of their visit.
- Engaging visitors in the displays and stories the museum presents to enhance their experience of visiting.
- Supporting visitors in getting the most from their visit by answering visitor queries and providing high quality customer service.
- Ensuring the museum galleries are kept to high standards of presentation and tidiness.
- Selling products from the museum shop and encouraging donations.
- Leading short spotlight talks on favourite items in the collection to enrich visitors’ understanding of the museum displays.
- Proactively promoting upcoming events and signposting other ways visitors can get more actively involved.
- Recording visitor numbers and supporting gathering visitor feedback.
- Reporting any serious issues, concerns, accidents emergencies promptly.
- Taking part in relevant training and championing an inclusive approach in all work.
The support you’ll give us as a volunteer is of huge benefit to the museum, and in turn we aim to make sure that you enjoy a valuable and memorable experience.
What we can offer you:
- The opportunity to work within a friendly and supportive team.
- A chance to meet new people and make professional contacts.
- On-the-job training in visitor welcome, cash handling and public engagement.
- Free entrance to the museum for you and a family member or friend.
- Invitations to special events.
- Shop discount (conditions apply).
- Event discounts (conditions apply).
- Free tea, coffee and biscuits!
- Expenses for car parking (if required).
- New experiences and an opportunity to give something back.
What we’re looking for:
- Polite and friendly individuals over the age of 16.
- A welcoming approach to working alongside the public.
- An enthusiasm to develop knowledge of Petersfield Museum and its collections and share this in a positive and lively way.
- Individuals who enjoy working as part of a small, dedicated team.
- A positive attitude and willingness to offer help throughout your volunteering shifts.
- An interest in heritage, costume, art, archaeology or local history.
- Confidence and enthusiasm for speaking with members of the public.
- The ability to work as part of a team and be flexible.
Important information about volunteering at Petersfield Museum:
- Volunteers are welcome to offer as much or as little of their time as they can give, but we do encourage individuals to commit to regular shifts. Our recommended commitment is one shift per fortnight as this best supports the museum.
- The normal museum day is broken into two shifts, a morning (1000-1330) and an afternoon (1330-1700).
- You will be expected to attend an induction training session.
- Training will also be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the museum team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
- Age restrictions
Must be 16 and over.
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Expenses for car parking (if required).
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
You will be expected to attend an induction training session. Training will also be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the museum team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 19/03/2021
End Date: 19/03/2022
Volunteers are welcome to offer as much or as little of their time as they can give, but we do encourage individuals to commit to regular shifts. Our recommended commitment is one shift per fortnight as this best supports the museum. The normal museum day is broken into two shifts, a morning (1000-1330) and an afternoon (1330-1700).
1 St Peter's Rd
Cancer Research UK Winchester
Colden Common Community Care Group
Ringwood Good Neighbours
Hammersley Homes Ltd.