Do you have:
- An ability to communicate with others?
- An interest in health and wellbeing?
- A knowledge of the health or community sectors?
- A desire to help others improve their lifestyle?
Volunteers are needed to help with a innovative pilot called Surgery Signposters. Signposters will be based in surgeries within the Havant and Bordon areas and take referrals when GPs and health professionals feel a patient could benefit from community support resources, for example: support groups for health conditions; social activities; assistance with exercise or diet. The aims include; reducing social isolation and building up levels of confidence about self-care.
- Work collaboratively within teams.
- Carry out the work within the boundaries of the role description.
- Attend relevant training, support and supervision where required.
- Keep records up to date and carry out follow-up activities.
- Keep the care of yourself and others as a priority at all times.
- Treat everyone equally, and ensure confidentiality rules are adhered to.
Full training and guidance will be provided before starting the role. Signposters will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for medical aspects of a patient’s health or for becoming experts on particular health conditions. Regular ongoing supervision is provided.
What could the role offer you?
- Satisfaction - Helping people to make a real difference to their health
- Knowledge – Understanding health, statutory and community sectors
- Teamwork - Being part of a professional team
- Purpose - Putting your skillset to a good use
- Value - Supporting your GP
- Experience - Within a valuable and meaningful workplace
The role requires a person who:
- Has a passion for helping people to improve their quality of life.
- Warm yet professional
- Supportive, whilst respecting and maintaining clear boundaries.
- Has a responsible and pragmatic outlook
- Is tactful and diplomatic
- Can build relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent listening and verbal communication skills.
- Reasonable standard of written communication.
- Computer literate.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to collect and organise data.
Some previous experience of working or studying either within the health and social care sector, community sector or in a situation of providing information directly to service users would be highly desirable.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Must be able to attend 2 full days of training followed by mentoring with an experienced Signposter Volunteer
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 19/04/2018
End Date: 01/04/2020
More Opportunities from Community First
New Forest Mencap
Hampshire County Council - Library Service (New Forest)
Testwood Lakes Sailability