Do you have a few hours to spare on a weekly basis?
Do you want to support Older People in your local community?
If so, this is the role for you!
Our Volunteer Guided walks Leaders and Helpers help improve the quality of life for older people who are socially isolated and may feel lonely.
Our Leaders will lead a small group of older people on walks of 30 minutes to one hour. Our Helpers will assist the leader by bringing up the rear of the group. The purpose is to accompanying our members walking whilst enabling them to gain companionship, and a chance to chat with group members. The walks will be located in the local area and be accessible via public transport. The walks will range in difficulty but will begin with gentle strolls. A selection of walks have been risk assessed and written walk directions are available, whilst there is scope to create new walks.
The aim is to enhance the physical wellbeing of older people whilst at the same time enabling them to form friendships.
The areas covered are Havant borough and Portsmouth.
- Good listening skills.
- Patience, empathy and understanding of the needs of older people.
- You will be reliable and punctual.
- You will have a clear sense of personal boundaries.
- You will provide a supportive and non-judgmental service.
- A willingness to engage with training and development.
- You will have a good understanding of your personal strengths and limitations.
- You’ll be able to maintain confidentiality.
- You will have a love of the outdoors.
- You will be comfortable leading / helping lead a small group.
Car driver or happy to use public transport.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 12/03/2021
End Date: 12/03/2022
More Opportunities from MHA Communities Portsmouth & Havant
Emsworth Good Neighbours
Stansted Park Foundation
Bordon and Whitehill Voluntary Car Service