The Fareham Shopmobility service provides mobility scooters, electric and manual wheelchairs to people with limited mobility, enabling them to access Fareham town centre and shop independently.
The Scooter Assistant is expected to:
- Understand the variety of our equipment available to customers and the good practice of using it.
- Store, charge and inspect the scooters for each booking,
- Wipe down and check all equipment on its return.
- Report any defects to the Manager and Maintenance.
- Use two way radio.
- Park scooters appropriately for customer use and assist to ensure all customers have the correct equipment.
- Deliver initial scooter assessments and explain customer responsibilities.
- Promote and display good scooter handling, driving ability and safety awareness.
- Support customers in parking their vehicles and deliver or collect equipment as needed.
- Understand correct scooter / powerchair use and the laws governing this practise.
- Respond to two-way radio messages from other services.
- Allocate equipment to customers.
Confidentiality and respect for all aspects of Shopmobility is essential, and a clean and tidy appearance is required of all personnel.
We also ask that you signpost the public towards information on support, services and community groups; understand factors that can affect people in communities and those who may be in need; be aware of the information available and an understanding of voluntary services and the local community and have an awareness of the other supportive services provided by Community First to enable you to have a greater awareness of the charity you are volunteering for.
Your manager is there to guide, assist and support you in all of the above comments and we ask that you make them aware of any areas of assistance.
- Very clear telephone manner
- Good customer care is needed for this face to face position
- Practical skills
- Team worker
- Able to keep accurate records
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
More Opportunities from Community First
British Red Cross
Bridge to Unity
VoiceAbility Hampshire and Southampton
Citizens Advice Havant