Does the following describe you?
• Passionate about supporting the Armed Forces community and honouring their contribution.
• Enjoy and thrive in working in teams and with others.
• Have a desire to provide great support in all that you do.
• Committed to being the best you can and to learn and develop new and existing skills.
• An encourager, eager to share your knowledge and experience to help others.
What is a Poppy Appeal Organiser?
The Legion provides services and support to members of the Armed Forces community and can only do this through donations from supporters. In this role you will be supporting the Legion and raising vital funds by organising the Poppy Appeal in your designated area. You will do this with the support and guidance of the local Community Fundraiser (CFR) or County Poppy Appeal Coordinator (CPAC).
What will you be doing?
This role may involve:
• Publicising, promoting and organising the Poppy Appeal in your designated area, in conjunction with the local CFR or CPAC.
• Arranging the ordering (through our online system), storage and distribution of poppies and other materials for the Appeal.
• Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of Poppy Appeal supplies and materials.
• Organising the recruitment, briefing and deployment of Poppy Appeal Collectors (volunteers) in your area.
• Carefully safeguarding and accurately accounting for all monies taken during the Poppy Appeal, banking Appeal donations promptly, and providing timely and accurate records.
• Carrying out an annual review of the Poppy Appeal in your area, in conjunction with the local CFR or CPAC.
• Maintaining accurate and up-to-date record of Poppy Appeal Collectors, in line with Legion data protection policies. What support will be available to you?
• A designated person to discuss your volunteering with, Training and opportunities for further development.
• A handbook to support your volunteering.
• Day-to-day support from a member of the team.
• A volunteer agreement that outlines both our expectations of you as well as what you can expect from us.
This may suit people who are:
• Experienced in planning and coordinating materials and people.
• Able to build productive relationships with others, both within and outside the Legion.
• Confident when dealing with and accounting for money.
• Able to communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
• Able to use computers and the internet.
• Able to organise own workload.
• Committed to acting in line with Legion policies and procedures, including those relating to data protection; confidentiality; safeguarding; health and safety and equality and diversity.
What is in it for you?
• Gain experience of promoting and organising a high-profile fundraising campaign in your local area.
• Gain experience of recruiting and supporting volunteers.
• Be part of a committed and friendly team.
• Volunteer for a large national charity.
• Gain skills and experience to build your CV.
• Have a regular volunteering opportunity.
• Make a difference to the Armed Forces community.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Out-of-pocket travel costs between home and place of volunteering will be reimbursed, and other reasonable expenses agreed in advance.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
Full training and support for this role will be provided by the local Community Fundraiser and Poppy Appeal Regional Administrator. You will also receive a Poppy Appeal Organiser Handbook.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 22/06/2020
End Date: 22/02/2022
Time commitment: While the Poppy Appeal takes place during the last two weeks of October and the first two weeks of November, we ask that you are able to give a commitment for a regular amount of time preceding and following the Appeal, to will be agreed with the CFR. Extra Information: Access to own transport is necessary. Two* satisfactory references are required. *If you are already a Legion volunteer or member we will require one reference from your Legion contact.
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.
More Opportunities from The Royal British Legion Dorset/Hampshire
CMA Connect Fareham
YMCA Fairthorne Group
Hampshire County Council - Staunton Country Park