This project will help to deliver the East Hampshire Community Rail Partnership’s aim of encouraging more visitors to travel to the East Hampshire and South Downs National Park area by sustainable means. The focus of the project will be to encourage sustainable travel behaviour of visitors and local residents from a pop up travel and tourism information centre based in the Old Parcels Office at Petersfield Railway Station.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- To support the paid Petersfield Sustainable Travel Ambassador in every aspect of their role.
- To help champion sustainable travel to East Hampshire, the South Downs National Park and beyond, concentrating primarily, but not exclusively, on rail visitors to Petersfield.
- To welcome and inspire visitors to the East Hampshire and South Downs National Park area to travel by sustainable transport (on foot, by bike, bus, by train). This involves maintaining a working knowledge of available transport options and local attractions.
- To help provide and maintain effective information about visitor attractions, and things to see and do within East Hampshire and the South Downs National Park.
- To proactively engage with visitors and residents and respond to their enquiries in a friendly and approachable manner.
- To enthuse visitors and residents about the special qualities and attractions of East Hampshire and the South Downs National Park.
- To undertake other transport and tourism functions as appropriate.
- To provide the highest standards of customer care.
Education / qualifications:
- Good general education to GCSE level (or equivalent).
- Demonstrable experience of working in a customer service/sales environment which would enable a full understating of the requirements of the role and the challenges it would bring.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Good time management and organisational skills with ability to use own initiative.
Impact and attributes:
- Confident and outgoing with experience of dealing with members of the public in a face to face environment.
- Ability to work flexibly.
- Knowledge of the benefits of sustainable transport use in the South Downs National Park.
- Knowledge and awareness of visitor attractions in the South Downs National Park and their appeal to different audiences.
- A passion for national parks, together with an ability to motivate and enthuse others about their special qualities.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 16/07/2021
End Date: 16/07/2022
The Hub, Old Parcels Office, Station Approach
More Opportunities from East Hampshire Community Rail Partnership (part of Hampshire Community Rail Partnership CIC)
MHA Communities Portsmouth & Havant
Together for Mental Wellbeing
Open Sight - Hampshire