At Macmillan we give people with cancer everything we’ve got. Are you a good listener and clear communicator? Then we would love you to join our team as a Macmillan Buddy in Hampshire and help Macmillan support people living with cancer.
We are looking for Community and Telephone Buddies across Hampshire to provide both in-person and telephone support. The time commitment varies and days/times are flexible but those undertaking the role usually commit to approximately 2-4 hours a week.
Selection will be after an informal interview and on successful completion of online training and induction. The training consists of both self-directed online learning and 'live' online group training and will take a combined total of approximately 10 hours to complete.
This role is also subject to an Enhanced (Adults) DBS check.
By sharing your skills and time, you’ll have the opportunity to utilise and develop your skills and will make a difference to people’s lives. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer across Hampshire. If you would like to join our team, register to volunteer today!
- Good listener and clear communicator
- Patient, flexible and reliable
- Ability to respect others’ differences and choices
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding while maintaining boundaries
- Ability to recognise when to ask for support
- Ability to work independently with guidance and support
- Understand the need to maintain confidentiality
- Ability and willingness to travel in your local area
- Good IT skills in order to access required systems and resources
- Ability to commit to 4 hours of online training
If you are supporting people in their homes, then the home may not be accessible
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
If supporting people as a Community Buddy in their homes, this requires a DBS. For telephone support only, it is not required.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
This opportunity is available Countywide.
The Civil Service Retirement Fellowship
Royal Hampshire County Hospital
MHA Communities New Forest
Emsworth Good Neighbours