The Brickworks Museum, Bursledon, is a volunteer run museum located by the river Hamble between Southampton and Portsmouth. The site is owned by the Hampshire Buildings Preservation Trust and governed by Bursledon Brickworks Trust. We are a unique site and the only remaining steam driven brickworks in the country. The museum is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays to volunteers and for a big Event one Sunday a month April to October.
To help maintain and run the historic steam engines at the museum, as part of a team, and to talk to visitors about them.
Typical tasks and duties involved in the role:
• Helping to clean, lubricate and generally maintain the historic steam engines at the museum.
• Help to steam up and run the engines on Event days and occasional other days i.e. for a group visit, as necessary.
• Talk to members of the public about the engines.
• Help other members of the team prepare the boiler for the annual inspection.
• Carry out other manual tasks around the museum as necessary for the running and development of the organisation i.e. putting up signs.
This volunteer team are at the museum on Thursdays and Event-day Sundays. Volunteers do not need to attend every week/Event.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
All expenses need to be agreed with the management in advance and usually only cover materials.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 08/06/2021
End Date: 08/06/2022
More Opportunities from Bursledon Brickworks
MHA Communities Portsmouth & Havant
Havant Borough Talking Newspaper