The Brickworks Museum, Bursledon is a volunteer run museum located by the river Hamble between Southampton and Portsmouth. The site is owned by the Hampshire Buildings Preservation Trust and governed by Bursledon Brickworks Trust. We are a unique site and the only remaining steam driven brickworks left in the country. The museum is open 3 days a week from April to October, with a big Event day a month and regular group and school visits.
To help maintain and run the historic steam engines at the museum, as part of a team, and to talk to visitors about them.
Typical tasks and duties involved in the role:
• Helping to clean, lubricate and generally maintain the historic steam engines at the museum
• Help to steam up and run the engines on Event days and occasional other days i.e. for a group visit, as necessary
• Talk to members of the public about the engines
• Help other members of the team prepare the boiler for the annual inspection
• Carry out other manual tasks around the museum as necessary for the running and development of the organisation i.e. putting up signs
• Some knowledge of engines and working machinery
• Ability to work within a team is essential
• An ability and willingness to learn new skills, as necessary
• To have a methodical approach to tasks
• To have a high regard for safe working practices
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Comfortable with getting dirty!
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday all year and Sunday from April until the end of October
More Opportunities from Bursledon Brickworks
Queen Elizabeth Country Park
The Friends of Lepe Country Park
Wessex Cancer Trust
New Milton Stroke Group