*Recruitment on hold - accepting forms for future recruitment*
What will you do?
Meet witnesses away from the court environment, either at their home or other agreed safe place. Assess their needs and provide support to help reduce their anxiety and enable them to give their best evidence.
- Make an initial visit and carefully assess the needs of witnesses in relation to attending court.
- Together with the witness and where appropriate their carer / support worker / parent / guardian, develop a tailored plan of preparation and support.
- Make further visits, according to their needs, to help prepare the witnesses and manage their expectation about the process of the trial, the verdict and the sentence.
- Invite the witness to have a pre-trial visit and explain how this may help, liaise this visit with the court based staff.
- Assist the court based Witness Service volunteer in providing support on the day, accompanying the witness into the courtroom when permitted and as appropriate.
- Ensuring that witnesses continue to receive our assistance after court if they need it, for example: offering a debrief session after the trial, support at the sentencing hearing and with follow up contact in one/two weeks to see how they are.
The Outreach Team Leader will match witnesses according to location and where the volunteer can get to.
What’s in it for you?
- Contribute to service’s aims of supporting witnesses within a dynamic team.
- Training, accreditation and continued development and support in the role.
- Gain valuable experience and development of interpersonal skills.
- Have a positive impact in your community and on people’s lives, the witnesses and their supporters.
And we’ll reimburse agreed expenses too.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
Enhanced check required. We will apply for this for you.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 08/12/2020
End Date: 08/12/2021
This opportunity has no specific location.
More Opportunities from Citizens Advice Witness Service
Bordon and Whitehill Voluntary Car Service
Havant & Leigh Park Good Neighbours
Bedhampton Community Centre
New Forest Mencap
The Kisoboka Trust