Trinity Winchester addresses the effects of homelessness and vulnerability through specialist practical and emotional support, and proactive prevention, empowering positive change. We help people who are vulnerable to the effects of homelessness, addiction, physical and mental ill health, poverty, social isolation, and domestic abuse. We offer solutions, hope, choice, and control.
We aim to support individuals to change their situation and aspire towards positive fulfilling futures.
We are seeking a Chair of Trustees to lead us into the next stage of our development, as we continue to provide relief from the effects of homelessness in the Bradbury House day centre and our supported housing in Winchester.
As the Chair of Trustees at Trinity Winchester you will be responsible for the oversight, direction, and strategy of the charity and in supporting the senior management team and ensuring appropriate accountability. You will be legally responsible for making sure that the charity is financially sound, complies with the law and is acting within the best public interest.
- Leadership and strategic direction, including the development of Trinity Winchester’s Strategic Plan.
- An understanding of and commitment to the ethos, values, aims and objectives of the organisation.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- An ability to nurture a positive culture on diversity, equalities, inclusion, risk management and health and safety through an understanding of diversity and a commitment to equalities, quality and accessibility of services.
- Acting as the figurehead for Trinity Winchester; as an ambassador for the cause and the charity; as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate. As well as representing the charity at external functions, meetings, and events. And address any potential conflict with external stakeholders and ensure the organisation maintains a complaint register.
The Chair of Trustees will also be required to:
- Chair meetings and manage meetings of the Trustee Board.
- Support and supervise the CEO.
- Support the Board of Trustees and ensure sub-committees are functioning effectively.
- Take any urgent action between meetings, if necessary.
- Organise Board meetings and take urgent decisions between meetings, in discussion with the Chief Executive Officer and other trustees.
- Lead performance reviews for the Board.
- Lead on the development of the Board and ensure its decisions are implemented.
- Take urgent action (but not decision making unless authorised) between board meetings when it isn’t possible or practical to hold a meeting.
- Present the Trinity Winchester Annual Report to the AGM, jointly with the Chief Executive Officer.
- Oversee the development of the Trustee Board so that any skills gaps and succession planning can be facilitated through the recruitment, mentoring and supporting new Trustees.
Please register before the deadline of 14th April 2022.
Skills and Experience:
We want our Board of Trustees to reflect our local community, so we welcome applications from all different backgrounds and levels of experience.
Key to the role is a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the duties of a chair; the ability to work effectively as part of a team and a commitment to the aim of supporting our client base. For the chair we would be interested in applicants who have any relevant experience in the voluntary and community sector, particularly those with leadership experience.
At least 2-3 hours for Board meetings which take place at least 4 times a year. All trustees are expected to contribute to a sub-committee or task group appropriate to their experience and skills and as chair, you will be expected to do the same. This will also require at least an extra 1-2 hours bi-monthly and associated administration/paperwork. Currently meetings are held at Trinity Winchester, Bradbury House, Durngate, Winchester SO23 8DX or by Zoom according to circumstance.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Bridge to Unity
Environmental Protection UK
Avon Valley Dementia Support