The Awards recognise and celebrate the organisations and individuals who give outstanding service to the people and places of the Winchester District.
The aim of these awards is to celebrate the selfless activity that brightens the lives of many residents, and makes the District a wonderful place in which to live.
The Mayor invites your nominations, and seeks to ensure that the Awards reflect the full range of community activity from all corners of the Winchester District.
Who can be nominated?
As in previous years, the emphasis is firmly on voluntary action. However, there is also scope to pay tribute to those who routinely go above and beyond the call of duty in the course of their paid employment.
Nominees can be:
- Any age.
- Volunteering or working in any area of life, except causes that do not respect equalities legislation, or promote extremism or otherwise conflict with established Council policies and duties.
- Live in the Winchester District (or, in the case of organisations, deliver a substantial part of their services to residents of the District) and in the case of children attend school or youth groups within the District).
- Give their permission to be nominated.
How to nominate:
Anyone can nominate an individual or an organisation, and self-nomination is permitted. The Mayor particularly seeks the assistance of Parish and Town Councils, City Councillors, schools and youth groups and others in public life who are well placed to see such work at first hand and throw a light on the – often unassuming – volunteers who do so much for our community.
There are two categories:
- Individual (Under 16)
- Individual (Adult)
- Citations should be limited to 100 words which will be printed verbatim on the reverse of the certificate.
- Local media coverage is anticipated for the awards. Please therefore ensure that your nominee is content to be nominated before submitting the citation.
- The closing date for nominations is noon on Friday 2nd February 2018.
- The Awards Ceremony will be held in Winchester Science Centre on Wednesday March 21st 2018. The Youth Awards will commence at 3.30pm whilst the Adult Awards will commence at 6.30pm.
- Nominees and those who nominated them will be invited to the Awards Ceremony.
- Submit your completed nomination form to Mayorssecretary@winchester.gov.uk
All nominees will receive a certificate of appreciation signed by the Mayor together with a pin badge.
Awards are made wholly at the discretion of the judging panel. The awards are discretionary and there is no right of appeal.
As part of the Awards Ceremonies guests will be treated to a presenter led Flight through the Universe Planetarium Show
If you wish to discuss your nomination or any aspect of the Mayor of Winchester’s Community Awards please contact the Mayor’s Secretary Debbie Hadwen or email: